Henry Hellyer (1790 – 1832): explorer, surveyor and architect. Born in Hampshire, England, Hellyer came to North West Tasmania in 1820 as a surveyor (later Chief Surveyor) and Chief Architect for the Van Dieman’s Land Company (known as the VDL Co) where he used his skills and physical endurance to open up much of the North West of Tasmania. He explored and surveyed country between Port Sorell and Mt Bischoff making the first ascent of Black Bluff and Valentines Peak. He carved a road through the dense forest and wild hills of inland North West Tasmania with little more than a bullock gang and crude hand tools. This road connected remote inland mining settlements to Emu Bay (now Burnie). In 1831 he became the first European to climb Cradle Mountain. His last contribution to the far North West was the design of historic Highfield House in Stanley, a residence for the Chief Agent of the VDL Co. Reportedly a melancholic character, Hellyer committed suicide in the Circular Head District in September of 1832 and is buried in the Stanley cemetery not far from where this cache is hidden.
Hellyer Gorge (on the Murchison Highway to the West Coast), Hellyer River, Hellyer Mine, Hellyer Beach and Hellyer College (the senior secondary college in Burnie) are some of the places in North West Tasmania named in his honour.
References:
1. Alexander, Alison (ed), The Companion to Tasmanian History, Hobart: Centre for Tasmanian Historical Studies, University of Tasmania, 2005
2. Binks, CJ, Explorers of Western Tasmania, Launceston: Mary Fisher Bookshop,1980
3. http://monumentaustralia.org.au/display/70902-henry-hellyer
4. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/hellyer-henry-2175